A Leading BDC Focused on Lending to Private U.S. Middle-Market Companies
Owl Rock Capital Corporation (NYSE: ORCC) is a specialty finance company and business development company (BDC) focused on providing direct lending solutions to U.S. middle-market companies. We seek to generate current income and, to a lesser extent, capital appreciation by targeting investment opportunities with favorable risk-adjusted returns, including senior secured, subordinated, or mezzanine loans and equity-related instruments. Our investment strategy is intended to generate favorable returns across credit cycles with an emphasis on preserving capital. We intend to pay a quarterly dividend and shareholders can learn more about our dividend history here.
ORCC is externally managed by Owl Rock Capital Advisors LLC, an indirect affiliate of Blue Owl Capital Inc. (NYSE: OWL) and a part of Owl Rock, a division of Blue Owl. Owl Rock, together with its subsidiaries, is a New York-based direct lending platform with approximately $68.6 billion of assets under management as of December 31, 2022. Owl Rock’s team of investment professionals works with borrowers across industries and sectors with a focus on serving as the capital partner of choice for leading private companies. Owl Rock’s relationship-oriented approach to investing can provide companies with sizeable commitments to facilitate transactions and support their growth needs with certainty, speed, and transparency throughout the entire investment process.
Our Investment Approach
- We originate, execute, and manage debt and equity investments in predominantly U.S. middle-market companies
- We invest in senior secured or unsecured loans, subordinated loans or mezzanine loans and, to a lesser extent, equity-related securities and warrants
- We focus on first lien, unitranche, and second lien term loans
- We focus on long-term credit performance and principal protection
- We are long-term investors with the ability to provide sizeable commitments to facilitate transactions and support the growth-related needs of our borrowers
- We seek to provide certainty, speed, and transparency throughout the entire investment process
- We have the ability to lead or anchor debt financings of up to $1 billion across the Owl Rock platform
Our Investment Criteria1
- Companies with earnings before interest expense, income tax expense, depreciation, and amortization, or “EBITDA,” between $10 million and $250 million annually and/or annual revenue of $50 million to $2.5 billion at the time of investment
- Established companies with positive cash flow
- Companies with strong competitive positioning in their industries
- Companies with experienced management teams
- Companies with diverse customer and supplier bases
- Investments with maturities typically between three and ten years
- Investments generally ranging in size between $20 million and $250 million
What Do Our Portfolio Companies Use Our Capital For?
- Market or product expansion
1. Not all of these criteria will be met or will be equally important in connection with each of our investments.
ORCC At a Glance
As of Dec. 31, 2022 • Q4'22 10-K
Our Differentiated Direct Lending Advantage
Lender of Choice for Financial Sponsors
- We are a scaled direct lending business with a $13.0 billion portfolio
- Owl Rock has a large pool of capital with the ability to lead or anchor debt financings of up to $1 billion across our platform
- We are founded and led by industry veterans, each with decades of experience
- We provide a full suite of financing solutions including first lien, second lien, and unitranche loans
- We have a large team of senior originators who have relationships with more than 650 sponsors
High-Quality, Senior-Oriented, Diversified Portfolio
- Our portfolio consists of 86% senior-secured investments; 71% of our portfolio is comprised of first-lien loans
- We focus on upper middle-market companies; as of December 31, 2022, our borrowers generated average annual EBITDA of $168 million1
- Our portfolio is well diversified by borrower, sector, sponsor, and position size
- A majority of our borrowers are sponsor-backed. We believe that a financial sponsor’s willingness to invest significant sums of equity capital into a company is an explicit endorsement of the quality of their investment. Further, financial sponsors of portfolio companies with significant investments at risk have the ability and a strong incentive to contribute additional capital in difficult economic times should operational issues arise.
Disciplined Investment Strategy
- We have a highly selective investment process, having evaluated more than 7,800 opportunities and closed on approximately 5%
- Our average loan-to-value is 45% across our portfolio
- Our focus is on non-cyclical, recession-resistant businesses
Conservative Balance Sheet
- We target debt-to-equity of 0.9x – 1.25x
- We maintain significant liquidity, with $1.8 billion of cash and undrawn debt capacity
- Our liability structure is well-diversified with a meaningful share of debt in the form of unsecured financing. 56% of funded debt capital is in unsecured debt
- We have four investment-grade ratings
Strong Shareholder Alignment & Transparency
- Approximately $600 million committed to Owl Rock products by executives and employees
- Our board has approved share repurchase authorizations totaling $400 million since IPO; most recently, on November 2, 2022, ORCC announced a new authorization of $150 million
- An independent valuation firm values every investment in our portfolio each quarter
As of 12/31/22 unless otherwise noted. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. The views expressed are Owl Rock’s views as of 12/31/22 and may change without notice as market and other conditions change. All investments involve risk including potential loss of principal.
1. Borrower financials are derived from the most recently available portfolio company financial statements, have not been independently verified by Owl Rock, and may reflect a normalized or adjusted amount. Accordingly, Owl Rock makes no representation or warranty in respect of this information. This represents 81.6% of our total debt portfolio based on fair value and excludes certain investments that fall outside of our typical borrower profile.
ORCC Borrower Highlights
As of Dec. 31, 2022 • Q4'22 10-K
Borrower financials are derived from the most recently available portfolio company financial statements, have not been independently verified by Owl Rock, and may reflect a normalized or adjusted amount. Accordingly, Owl Rock makes no representation or warranty in respect of this information. This represents 81.6% of our total debt portfolio based on fair value and excludes certain investments that fall outside of our typical borrower profile. Diversification will not guarantee profitability or protection against loss.
We Have Embedded ESG into Our Investment Process
At Owl Rock, we believe incorporating material environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into our corporate and investment practices can significantly contribute to our long-term success and the long-term success of the companies in which we invest.
Our Adviser's ESG Principles
- Dual-Purpose Investments
- Due Diligence
- Like-Minded Partnerships
- Continuous Improvements
Founded and Led by Industry Veterans
Owl Rock Capital Corporation was founded in 2016 by Doug Ostrover, Marc Lipschultz, and Craig Packer who each have decades of experience building successful credit, underwriting, and alternative investment businesses.
Today, Doug Ostrover and Marc Lipschultz serve as Chief Executive Officer and Co-President of Blue Owl Capital, respectively. Craig Packer is Chief Executive Officer of each of the Owl Rock’s BDCs, including Owl Rock Capital Corporation. All three are also members of Owl Rock’s investment committee.
Learn More About Our Management & Officers
View Board of Directors